If you are determined to get a job in one of the Ministries of the Central Government, you must excel in Staff Selection Commission (SSC) exams. The SSC Combined Graduate Level (CGL) exams are held every year and the aspirants have to clear three tiers of the exam.
Candidates, who have qualified their Tier-I stage, are shortlisted for CGL Tier-2 Exam. Both Tier I and II online mode exams (Computer Based Test).
If you go across the Tier I level, after around one month of preparation you attempt the Tier II exams. The Tier 2 exams too have a multiple choice question format. However, the syllabus and subjects for Tier 2 are different.
Examination Pattern of Tier I
|S. No.||Exam Type||Subject||No. of questions||Marks||Duration|
|1||Objective Type||General Intelligence||25||50||75 minutes|
Syllabus of Tier I
General Intelligence and Reasoning:
- This section is based on Questions from Series (number, figurative), similarities and differences, analogy, space visualization.
- Spatial orientation, problem solving, analysis, judgement. Decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation.
- Direction sense test, Blood relations, arithmetical reasoning and figural classification. Arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding.
- Statement conclusion, syllogism in reasoning etc. The topics are Semantic Analogy, Symbolic/Number Analogy.
- Figural Analogy, Ranking test, Semantic Classification, Symbolic/Number Classification. Figural Classification, Input-Output questions, Problem Solving, Word Building, Seating arrangement, Numerical Operations, symbolic Operations. Questions on Dies, Clock, Calendar.
- Trends, Space Orientation, Space Visualization, Venn Diagrams. Drawing inferences, folding & un-folding of Punched hole/pattern. Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Indexing, Address matching. Date & city matching, Classification of centre codes/roll numbers.
- Small & Capital letters/numbers coding, decoding and classification. Embedded Figures, Critical thinking. Emotional Intelligence, Social Intelligence etc.
- Questions on a candidate’s ability to understand and correct English etc. would be tested.
- Questions on Fill in the Blanks, Idioms & Phrases, Jumbled sentences (ordering), One word substitution.
- Synonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/Detecting Mis-spelt words, Common errors, sentence improvement, Passage, Cloze test are asked.
- This section is based on questions on Percentages. Ratio & Proportion. Square and cube roots.
- Surds and indices. Lcm and hcf, Averages, Age problems. Simple interest and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership. Mixture and Alligation.
- Time and distance, Time & Work, Boat and Streams, Pipes and Cisterns.
- Numbers, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Heights and Distances.
- Divisions and Remainders, decimals ,fractions and relationships between numbers.
- Graphs of Linear Equations, Triangles (centres, congruence, similarity), In circles and circum-circle. Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons.
- Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone. Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelopiped.
- Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base, Trigonometric ratio. Degree and Radian Measures, Circle and its chords.
- Tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle. common tangents to two or more circles, Standard Identities.
- Complementary angles, Heights and Distances. Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart.
- General Knowledge will have questions on current events, India and its neighbouring countries.
- Questions from History. Geography, Economic Scene, Culture, General Policy & Scientific Research are asked.
- Scientific research includes physics, chemistry and Biology.
- Current affairs of Last 6 months are asked.
Examination Pattern of Tier II
|S. No.||Subject||No. of questions||Marks||Duration|
|1||Arithmetical Ability||100||200||2 Hours|
|2||English Language||200||200||2 Hours|
* for Investigator Grade-II, for Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation and Compiler for Registrar General of India, Ministry of Home Affairs.
Syllabus of Tier II
Paper I: Arithmetic Ability:
This paper will include questions on problems relating to Number Systems, Computation of Whole Numbers, Decimals and Fractions and relationship between Numbers, Fundamental Arithmetical Operations, Percentage, Ratio and Proportion, Average, Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Use of Table and Graphs, Mensuration, Time and Distance, Ratio and Time etc.
Paper II: English Language & Comprehension:
Questions in this components will be designed to test the candidate’s understanding and knowledge of English Language and will be based on error recognition, fill in the blanks (using verbs, preposition, articles etc), Vocabulary, Spellings, Grammar, Sentence Structure, Synonyms, Antonyms, Sentence Completion, Phrases and Idiomatic use of Words, etc. There will be a question on passages and comprehension of passages also. (The standard of the questions will be of 10+2 level).
Examination Pattern of Tier III
The candidates passing SSC CGL Tier II Stage will now have to take Tier III Exam instead of the interview. The selection criteria for Tier III involves totaling of marks obtained in Tier I and Tier II. This level involves Descriptive type paper in English or Hindi.
Syllabus of Tier-3 Exam:
This stage comprises Essay Writing of 200 to 250 words and Letter or Application writing of 150 to 200 words. The aim of Descriptive Paper is to check the candidate’s writing ability and communication skill that are considered integral for Government Jobs. Descriptive Paper is to be held through Pen Paper and offline mode. Total weightage of Descriptive paper is 100 Marks with 1 hour of time duration. Minimum qualifying marks for Descriptive paper is 33%.
Candidates recruited in top SSC jobs definitely enjoy a high social status. Recruited through SSC, you get a chance to work with top central ministries. To strengthen your claim for the same, Vidvantage offers exclusive Classroom Program for SSC Exams that brings to you an exhaustive module including extensive classroom training and comprehensive study material with sufficient practice exercises and tests. Vidvantage offers the following course features in the SSC training.
Salient features of SSC Course:
- 120 classroom hours covering all subject areas and concepts of Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning, English Usage and General Awareness to clear up fundamental concepts and provide enough practice.
- To equip our students with all the necessary skills, we provide complete study material with detailed discussion on every aspect of the topic.
- 15 weekly Mock Tests as per the actual exam pattern to acquaint you with the paper pattern followed by detailed analysis.
- Weekly General Knowledge sessions backed up with relevant study material to improve your GK.
- Individual doubt solving sessions per week to solve subject specific queries and doubts.
- 10 Mock Tests, each of English Language and Arithmetic Ability based on the new pattern of SSC CGL Tier II exam.